I help leaders deliver results through purposeful and productive relationships
William is an experienced executive coach and Paralympic sport psychologist to Team GB. An expert in resilience and mental toughness, his executive coaching and leadership training helps leaders manage themselves to be at their best, take a clear-eyed perspective on their challenges and develop the key relationships that deliver success.
Background and coaching experience
After a business degree and early career in retail with John Lewis, William trained as a sport psychologist and psychotherapist whilst being head coach of a north London tennis club. In 2006 he returned to business and organisational life as a director of Performance1, focusing on leadership training, executive coaching and sport psychology. He has coached in culturally and geographically diverse organisations, in public, private and not-for-profit sectors. He’s experienced in helping leaders transition from expert managerial roles to broader leadership challenges, both in commercial and more complex multi-stakeholder environments.
William is an experienced team coach, and is building a coaching supervision practice; both inform his 1-1 work as an executive coach.
He builds trust rapidly, developing coaching relationships that harness strengths and get to the heart of what needs to be addressed to move forwards. Leaders often find they need to evolve an approach that has worked in the past to meet the new challenges of the future, especially in a more senior role. As a team coach he works closely with the leader to develop the team dynamics that deliver success. As an individual coach he helps the leader do this for themself, and builds their capacity to see their team systemically and developmentally, whilst paying attention to the basics and getting things done. As a trainer, his sessions are interactive, practical and energising.
William is unashamedly pragmatic and psychological, helping leaders to focus on what is most important to them and their mission, whilst building self-awareness and supporting their long-term development.
Representative client assignments
- Global Professional Services leading development program for Partners and Directors focusing on self-management to deliver business results. Includes developing presence, and sustained performance under pressure.
- Workshop keynotes on resilience, influencing skills and performance through diversity.
- Coaching local managers stepping up to be country operations manager & general manager respectively in a global oil business. This assignment involved my interviewing leaders from Brazil, USA, Canada, Angola, Ivory Coast, GB to feed back their perspectives on the 2 leaders, as a foundation for coaching them. Their challenge was to step into new roles and satisfy the stringent safety and commercial demands of a complex off-shore operation, whilst leading ex-pat and local staff teams, in an ex-colonial and highly controlled political environment. Mainly delivered virtually, the coaching built each manager’s capacity to thrive under pressure and step into the demands of their new roles.
- Coaching newly appointed area managers (AMs) in UK environmental sector responsible for landscape, environment, farming stewardship and public access. In teams with continually diminishing resources and a fast-changing political landscape, AMs have to lead teams of scientists, subject matter experts, and long-serving staff members to change how they work to re-prioritise and adapt. William’s role was to support the leaders in meeting the demands of the multi stakeholder environment, to prioritise and hit the ground running with their teams.
His organisational clients include Ensco, Cancer Research, Barclays, PWC Consulting, M&G, Schroders, Severn-Trent, Dentsu Aegis Media, Waitrose, The Royal Shakespeare Company, and the NHS. His sports experience includes acting as(?) Team GB psychologist in the build up to the Beijing Olympics, psychologist to GB Rowing 2006-2017 and 2012 & 2016 Paralympics. Gold medal winning athletes he has worked with include Helen Glover and Heather Stanning, voted GB Olympians of the year for 2016.
William is a highly-experienced individual coach, team coach, facilitator and sport psychologist. At the heart of this is helping leaders get the most out of themselves and the people they lead, whatever the context. Expertise includes resilience, building trust, presence, impact and influencing in complex project teams, as well as more formal leadership structures.
Qualifications, publications and awards
- William is an APECS accredited coach, an HCPC registered practitioner psychologist, and an accredited sports psychologist and psychotherapist. He gained an MSc in Sports Science and holds a BA (Hons) in Business Studies, and is accredited to deliver MBTI, Lumina, Hogan and LDF psychometrics.
Recent Continuous Professional Development
- Accredited Certificate in the supervision of coaches, mentors and consultants. Bath Consultancy Group Jan to completion in Dec 2017
- Attachment, Adaptation and High Performance Environments: A workshop for executive coaches. Co-delivered with Dr Andy Rogers from Changing Minds UK
- Actionable Conversations licensed practitioner https://actionable.co